Travel Authorization:

  1. As of May 2, 2011, Travel Authorizations (TA's) are no longer needed. However, a Travel Authorization Form is required for all travel.
  2. Regardless of who is paying for the trip, travelers must obtain department approval for all travel. Traveler must reimburse the University for any travel-related expenses incurred by the University and ultimately paid by another entity.

International Travel:

  1. International airfare MUST be booked by calling a Christopherson travel agent at: Christopherson Business Travel
  2. If international travel is supported by federal funds, you must comply with the Fly America Act.
  3. For no cost international trips, travelers must log their trip itinerary in iSOS: Step-by-Step Instructions
  4. For more information visit the the Risk Management Website: International Insurance & Travel Assistance Programs
  5. When traveling to or from another country, keep in mind that laptops/mobile devices are subject to confiscation and export control. The law may require an export license to travel with these items. Export control licenses take time so plan ahead. Please refer to the Vice Chancellor for Research website for further information.

Airline Tickets:

  1. To book airfare, traveler MUST either use the online CONCUR Travel and Expense System OR contact a travel agent with Christopherson Business Travel:
    1. To purchase airfare using the Concur Travel System ($9 processing fee): See the PSC Training and Help website at Booking a Trip
    2. Booking through a Christopherson Agent ($20 processing fee): See available agents at Christopherson Business Travel
  2. External Internet Site: If purchasing from an external internet site (e.g. Orbitz, Expedia, Kayak) you must obtain a comparison quote from Christopherson. You can do this through the Concur Travel System. Enter the specifications of your travel in the search fields and print the list of Concur fares. You may also contact a Christopherson Agent for a comparison quote. If the external internet airfare is less than the quote, proceed with your purchase using a personal credit card. Your quote and purchase must be on the same day. Without this comparison you will not be reimbursed for the cost of the airfare. For reimbursement after the trip: reference the comparison quote information from Christopherson in the comments on your expense report. Attach the proof of payment for your ticket purchase.
  3. PARKING: Discounts on parking near DIA are offered to all University employees. Methods for obtaining discounts are different for each vendor so please use the following link for detailed information - DIA Parking
  4. Free Baggage: Frontier Airlines is providing free baggage with the purchase of State Airfare Price Agreement tickets. In order to avoid paying baggage fees, please verify with your travel agent that you have purchased a ticket via the State of Colorado Airfare Price Agreement.

I need a rental car:

Book rental car online through Concur Travel and Expense System:

  1. Insurance: Decline insurance for domestic preferred cars (Avis, Budget, National, Enterprise and Hertz), accept insurance for international and non-preferred vendors. In most cases, VISA provides Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW). The State contracted agencies provide liability coverage. For more information contact 1.800.VISA.911 prior to traveling to determine the specific insurance needs applicable to your trip.
  2. If you rent a car in person (i.e. not using concur), make sure you rent from one of the above preferred agencies.
  3. Note: Four-wheel-drive vehicles may only be rented if the trip requires it to access a difficult-to-get-to location. Unless this is the case, travelers must rent two-wheel drive vehicles.

How do I pay for my rental car?

  1. Use your Travel Card to receive insurance coverage benefits.
  2. You will need to obtain an itemized rental car receipt showing proof of payment for rental car and rental car gas.

I need to book a hotel:

Book lodging online through Concur Travel and Expense System:

  1. Use your Travel Card to pay lodging and any required deposits to the extent of the actual cost of reasonable accommodations. Itemized receipts are required for both the lodging deposit and the balance of the hotel stay.
  2. If you arrange private lodging (staying with family or friends) you can be reimbursed up to $25/day for associated costs.

I need to pay conference registration fees

Plan ahead and register early and get the early registration discount most conferences provide.

I want to pay the fee myself:

  1. Do I have a Procurement Card or University Travel Card? If yes, use this to pay for your fee. If not, pay for this personally (credit card, check, cash) and get reimbursed upon trip completion. Make sure you print a receipt for the cost of the registration.

I want someone else to pay the fee:

  1. Conference registration fees can be pre-paid by CIPS. You will need to work with Victoria Johnston to process the payment through CIPS.

How do I process a Travel Expense Report?

  1. CIPS will create your travel expense report for you. Simply turn in your receipts to Victoria Johnston in F837. Explain anything unusual that may have happened.
  2. When the report is ready you will be notified. Logon to the Expense System to review and submit your report.
  3. After you submit your travel expense report, it will route electronically to your approver. You are done.
  4. After your approver approves your report it will proceed to Travel Accounting at the PSC. Once they approve your report, look for a direct deposit of your approved reimbursement.

Additional Assistance

For help, CIPS employees may e-mail Email Address
Additionally the Finance & Procurement Help Desk can provide assistance via phone or email at (303) 837-2161, or